Motion for Interim Parenting Plan (Interactive Form)


By: Montana Legal Services Association (MLSA)

Use a free interactive program to write a Motion for Interim Parenting Plan that you can use to ask the court to set up a temporary Parenting Plan until it orders a Final Parenting Plan.
Resource Information

Before You Start

You can use the interactive Motion for Interim Parenting Plan to ask a Judge in Montana to make your Proposed Parenting Plan that you filed earlier an Interim Parenting Plan. An Interim Parenting Plan is a temporary court order that both parents must follow until the court issues a Final Parenting Plan. 

When you’re done, you’ll need to download, print, and file the forms with the Clerk of District Court where your parenting case is being heard. The forms come with instructions to help you file them and serve the other parent. You can find the link to the interactive Motion for Interim Parenting Plan at the end of this page. 

What if I’m leaving a violent relationship?

There are a few important things to know if you are leaving a violent or abusive relationship. The end of a violent relationship is sometimes the most dangerous point for the victim and children. There may be free legal and non-legal help for people leaving a domestic violence relationship. It is a good idea to come up with a safety plan. You may also want to look into getting an Order of Protection. It is important to know that the Court may base some of its decisions on safety concerns for the parents and/or children. 

What you’ll need to complete the form

The form takes about 20 to 45 minutes to complete. You can create an account to stop, save, and return to your answers at a later date. 

When completing the form, you’ll need the following:

  • A copy of the Proposed Parenting Plan you filed earlier;
  • Reason(s) why you’re asking for a temporary Parenting Plan until the court orders a Final Parenting Plan.

You can complete this form on your smart phone but you’ll need to print it out before you can file it with the Clerk of District Court and serve the other parent. 

This form isn’t right for everyone. The program may tell you to talk to a lawyer based on the information you give. 

Need more information?

If you have any questions about your rights or this form, it would be a good idea to read our DIY Guide to Divorce and Custody in Montana

Need legal help?

Montana Legal Services Association provides free civil legal help to eligible clients. Learn more about how to apply for free legal help.

Find more resources using our interactive Legal Guide.
Last Updated

Last review and update: